Mirror

Huge rescue operation to save boy, 2, after he fell down 330ft well

The boy was playing at the Sierra de Totalan mountains in the province of Malaga when his terrified parents saw him plunge down the narrow well

A major rescue operation is underway in Spain to save a two-year-old boy who fell down a well.

It is still unclear if the toddler, named Yulen, is still alive after he plunged down the 107-metre well shaft in the Sierra de Totalan mountains in the province of Malaga.

The tragic incident happened as the boy was playing with a young family member on Sunday afternoon.

It is believed the family heard the boy crying shortly after his fall but he later fell silent, according to the president of the Provincial Fire Brigade, Francisco Delgado Bonilla.

Hundreds of emergency service personnel have rushed to the location but have been prevented from descending the narrow hole which measures just 25 centimetres in diametre.

The rescue operation worked through the night and has been underway for 17 hours.

Huge rescue operation to save boy, 2, after he fell down 330ft well

A camera which had been lowered nearly 80 metres into the ground discovered a bag of trinkets that the boy had been carrying.

Rescuers now fear that th boy could be underneath an area of compacted sand and dirt.

All options to remove the are now being considered by the Spanish Civil Guard, including plans to bore a hole which will allow crews to access the boy’s whereabouts.

The well is located on a private, unfenced plat near an area known as the Dolmen Cerro de la Corona, according to El Pais.

It emerged that the parents of two-year-old Yulen, named Vicky and Jose, lost their three-year-old son Oliver in another accident nearly two years ago.

He died of a heart attack in May 2017, 21 days after he collapsed in the street in the Malaga neighbourhood of El Palo.

Respected Spanish daily El Confidencial said doctors failed to establish the cause of the problem after his health scare.

A spokesman for the Civil Guard, who said the information about the circumstances of the youngster’s disappearance had come from the family, told local press: “The operation is going to continue as long as is necessary.

“The boy’s father and a local emergency services coordination centre called police around the same time at 2pm to alert us to what had happened.”

Outgoing Andalucia president Susana Diaz tweeted: “Following with concern what’s happened in Totalan, Malaga.“All my thoughts and support for the parents, family and friends, as well as the rescue teams that are working in the area.”

Spanish PM Pedro Sanchez added: “I share the anguish of the family of the two-year-old who has fallen down a well in Totalan, Malaga.

“All my support for the parents and the emergency teams who are participating in the rescue. “We continue to hope for the best outcome.”

2 Comments

Post Comment